Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Week One

Saturday March 1st -- Day one of the 84 days of discipline
I'm in Charlottesville, Virginia visiting Molly Pancake for her baby shower. I arrived last night after driving part-way Thursday and the last 7 hours yesterday.
It is nice and mild here but fairly windy. At least there is no snow or ice like at home.
Today I ran 2:00 through a rural area (it is super hilly here!) and called it 28km. I felt great and really enjoyed running in new scenery. I did a light stretch afterwards then got ready for the shower.
Kms: 28

Sunday March 2nd -- Day two
I made a dumb-ass move this morning. Since yesterday was so nice out I hopped out the door at 8am in shorts and a long sleeve. Yeeeowzah it was only 0C! Oooops. I ran 38 mins around UVa campus. 9km
Later in the afternoon I did another 41mins to make the day's total 18km
Kms: 18

Monday March 3rd -- Day three
At 8:30am I headed out the door (full gear today: running pants and long sleeve but t-shirt and shorts underneath) and headed to the UVa track. My warm-up was about 5km with 1 mile on the track striding the straights. I did 7.2km of intervals on the track but felt very sluggish with tight shoulders and my times showed I was "off." Funny part was when I finished an 80-something year old man who had been walking laps around the track came over and chatted with me. When I told him I was Canadian he told me about Cdn cities and their history and then told me about my own Western European heritage; it was all very amusing. He advised me to run shorter stuff to save my joints but after I told him I'd run 20 marathons already, he figured I knew what I was doing (or that there was no changing this old dog).
I hung out with Molly the rest of the day then started my trek home at 6:30pm and made it half-way home and spent the night in Pittsburgh.
Kms: 19

Tuesday March 4th -- Day four
It was cold and rainy outside my hotel room when I got up so I did 20 mins of circuits in my room instead then headed back out on the road. I stopped near Erie to hit the outlet shops (terrible me! more BR pants and button-downs!)
When I got home I cleaned my apartment then headed out for an easy 67mins. I felt great!
Kms: 15

Wednesday March 5th -- Day five
Rode bike indoors 30 mins at 11am. Kept cadence high but I am slow! Average 26km/hr
Evening: York work-out. 5k jog, 4x200m in 37 or so
Set 1: 1k 3:20, 400m 1:14
Set 2: 2k 6:43, 400m 1:14
Set 3: 1k 3:20, 400m 1:13 (kinda consistent, eh??)
Set 4: 400m 1:21, 400m 1:12
Phew! SO much better than Monday's workout in Virginia. Ready to fly!!!
Km: 17

Thursday March 6th -- Day six
am: very easy jog 1hr 12min
I am off work but days are busy. Go figure!
Km: 16

Friday March 7 -- Day six
long run 2:14
Km: 31

Saturday March 8 -- Day seven
easy run 1:12 then off to Berlin
Km: 16

Sunday March 9 -- Day eight
in Berlin, run 57mins easy
Km: 13

Week totals
Kms: 127
Cross train: 30min
Long run: 31

5 comments:

Seanna said...

Tuesday, March 4th
Scrambled to get Hugs over to Tanis' for his a.m. nap so I could get out for my workout. Didn't get a stop at Starbucks and only had one cup of weak coffee at Tanis'. Got H down and went out the door. My usual abbreviated 10 min warm-up (it's all about efficiency) then did 8 x 3 min sections with 1 min rec along the Leslie Spit. Felt fast for the first few, then realized at the turn-around that I'd been running with a tail-wind. A bit tougher coming back - took 2 mins before the last one. Total running time: 50 mins. I called it 7 miles. Rewarded myself with Starbucks latte on the walk home.

Suzanne said...

Wednesday March 5,
Way to go on the 3 minuters Seanna!

I should start with my Monday track workout with the UofT girls, but since I'm still getting my butt kicked (when does the track get easier?), I'll simply say I did 800s.

3Km swim this morning and much to my surprise (after doing legs in the gym yesterday and a tough ride last night), I was moving at a decent clip... hitting the wall just after a cute former varsity swim guy and just before a normally speedy postdoc from Paris. i think he was tired. Main set was: 4x50, 100 in about 1:16 (leaving on 1:30), 4x 50s, 200 in about 2:45 (leaving on 3:00), 4 x 50s, 400 in 5:50?,leaving on 6:00 4x50s got thru that main set 1.5 times before had to go to work.


gonna skip my run tonight and ride and lift instead (damn snow!)...maybe i'll do the mckoy circuit!!!

hopefully i can hit the cemetary in the morning for some faster sections with Donna Vakalis (pentathlete Greek Team here for a visit).

Toronto fast cats said...

Nice work ladies!!! Suzanne, you do so many different activities. I can't believe you want to add more with me and Tara. I'm tired just thinking about your sched'.

Seannana, impressive! Glad you were feeling speedy and I'm sure it wasn't from the wind. Nice juggling with the Hugmeister.

Seanna said...

Wed, March 5th
45 min easy rec bike (unlike Nic I'm not very techy with the bike - no idea how far or fast I'm going)

Thurs, March 6th
2 hour run. Whew! Kept up a pretty good pace - footing was finally good and did a route without many stoplights. Am calling it 16+ miles. Last 20 mins were tough - legs always tighten up at the end of longer runs. Am worried about the pain of ATB now! BTW, Suzanne, very cool swim workout and Nicola, you're a metronome on the track!

Suzanne said...

2 hours!!! woohoo! way to go!

i did 5 x 4min sections with 1 min in the cemetary. was moving because the guys were there and kept bumping into Lauren King...didn't wanna look pathetic:) i think an easy swim tonight, but maybe i'll throw in a few intervals. tara called me at 6:00 am to run and ride--gotta love you crazy fit freaks! couldn't fit it in b4 work.